This Icon has been attributed to a famous Iconographer, Vladimir Lukich Borovikovsky
(1758-1826), a protégé of the Empress Catherine II who was instructed at the Academy of Arts in St Petersburg, Russia. In addition to being a great portrait painter, Borovikovsky also painted many of the Icons for the Cathedral of the Kazan Icon in St Petersburg.
36 x 17½ inches in size. An exceptionally beautiful and detailed riza of silver covers the Icon of the
Theotokos and Christ child, and the Image of God the Father blessing from above.
1850, two years after the Cathedral was completed. Even with their meager wages, these men
generously made their contribution to the Church.
Miracles have been attributed to the Sitka Mother of God Icon over the years. It is believed that
the gaze of the eyes of the Theotokos have led to the restored health of those who prayed before
the Icon. Because of the peaceful gaze of the Theotokos, the Icon has been described as a “pearl of Russian ecclesiastical art of ineffable gentleness, purity and harmony….” And “…the most
beautiful face of the Mother of God with the Divine Child in her arms is so delicately and
artistically done that the more one looks at it the more difficult it is to tear one’s gaze away.”
Alaska, the Icon is now permanently located on the far left side of the Iconostasis in a special
place of honor.