On May 13, 2013, the bishops of Portugal are expected to pray on Pope Francis’ behalf this prayer of consecration, as he has asked them to do.
Fatima, located in Portugal, is where three shepherd children had a series of reported apparitions of the Blessed Mother in 1917, beginning on May 13 and ending on Oct. 13 of that year.
Our Lady Of Fatima
- Between May and October 1917, the Blessed Mother appeared six times to three young Portuguese children, who had been brought up in an atmosphere of piety and often would kneel and pray the rosary in an open field while tending sheep.
- Mary asked the children to pray the rosary daily for the conversion of sinners and asked for devotion to her Immaculate Heart. She asked for prayer, penance and the consecration of Russia to her Immaculate Heart and observing the first Saturdays of the month with confession and receiving holy Communion in reparation to the hearts of Jesus and Mary.
- At the last apparition Mary identified herself as Our Lady of the Rosary and 70,000 people observed what is called the “miracle of the sun.”
- The Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary was started in 1928 and consecrated in 1953. Over 1 million pilgrims visit annually.
- Our Lady of Fatima is the patroness of Portugal.