|Guardian Angel with Sts Ursula and Thomas (Photo credit: Wikipedia)|
October 2, 2013
(Mat 18:10) See that you despise not one of these little ones: for I say to you, that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father who is in heaven.
FROM THE ARCHIVES: Touched by Padre Pio's Guardian Angels
CATHOLIC CULTURE: The Role of Guardian Angels in Our Lives
John XXIII was another pope who had a deep devotion to his guardian angel. One might say he practiced to perfection the advice of his predecessor gave those overseas visitors: 'Have a certain familiarity with the angels.' John XXIII's faith in the active and loving presence of his angel was such that, like Pius XI, what was invisible became in a way visible to the eyes of his faith.
John XXIII believed in the existence of angels and he was happy to use opportunities to remind people of this reassuring truth.... He liked to tell everyone about them, especially parents. Parents, he said, should teach their children that they are never alone, that they have an angel at their side, and show them how to have a trusting conversation with this angel. 'Your guardian angel is a good adviser; he intercedes near God, on our behalf; he helps us in our needs; he protects us from dangers and accidents. The pope would like the faithful to feel the wonderful help the angels give.
John XXIII was so convinced that angels were by our side that, when he looked at the crowd of pilgrims and tourists in St. Peter's Square on a Sunday, there to say the Angelus and receive the pope's blessing, he used also [to] think of the equally numerous crowd of invisible guardian angels also present in the same square. The same thing was true of St. Francis de Sales, a saint beloved of John XXIII: before starting to preach he liked to look round at the people, to greet their guardian angels, invisibly present.
VATICAN INSIDER: John Paul II and John XXIII to be proclaimed saints on 27 April 2014 (Divine Mercy Sunday)
ST. FRANCIS DE SALES: "Make friends with the angels, who, though invisible, are always with you. ... Often invoke them, constantly praise them, and make good use of their help and assistance in all your temporal and spiritual affairs."
GUARDIAN ANGEL PRAYER - Saint Gertrude
O most holy angel of God,
appointed by God to be my guardian,
I give you thanks for all the benefits
which you have ever bestowed on me
in body and in soul.
I praise and glorify you
that you condescended to assist me
with such patient fidelity,
and to defend me against all the assaults of my enemies.
Blessed be the hour in which
you were assigned me for my guardian,
my defender and my patron.
In acknowledgement and return
for all your loving ministries to me,
I offer you the infinitely precious
and noble heart of Jesus,
and firmly purpose to obey you henceforward,
and most faithfully to serve my God. Amen
PETER KREEFT: Angels- The Twelve Most Important Things to Know About Them
- They really exist. Not just in our minds, or our myths, or our symbols, or our culture. They are as real as your dog, or your sister, or electricity.
- They’re present, right here, right now, right next to you, reading these words with you.
- They’re not cute, cuddly, comfortable, chummy, or “cool”. They are fearsome and formidable. They are huge. They are warriors.
- They are the real “extra-terrestrials”, the real “Super-men”, the ultimate aliens. Their powers are far beyond those of all fictional creatures.
- They are more brilliant minds than Einstein.
- They can literally move the heavens and the earth if God permits them.
- There are also evil angels, fallen angels, demons, or devils. These too are not myths. Demon possessions, and exorcisms, are real.
- Angels are aware of you, even though you can’t usually see or hear them. But you can communicate with them. You can talk to them without even speaking.
- You really do have your very own “guardian angel”. Everybody does.
- Angels often come disguised. “Do not neglect hospitality, for some have entertained angels unawares”—that’s a warning from life’s oldest and best instruction manual.
- We are on a protected part of a great battlefield between angels and devils, extending to eternity.
- Angels are sentinels standing at the crossroads where life meets death. They work especially at moments of crisis, at the brink of disaster—for bodies, for souls, and for nations.
Prayer request? Send an email to: PrayerRequest3@aol.com