August 16, 2013
(Mat 5:11-12) Blessed are ye when they shall revile you, and persecute you, and speak all that is evil against you, untruly, for my sake: Be glad and rejoice for your reward is very great in heaven. For so they persecuted the prophets that were before you.
POPE FRANCIS: "Unfortunately, painful news has come from Egypt. I wish to ensure my prayers for all the victims and their families, the injured and all those who are suffering. Let us pray together for peace, dialogue and reconciliation in that dear nation and throughout the world. Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us. Let's all say it, Mary, Queen of Peace, pray for us."
ACN: EGYPT - Bishop of Assiut: "The Islamists are taking revenge on us Christians"
REVIEW: Pope Francis I and Egypt’s Tawadros II: A Tale of Two Popes and Preserving Mideast Christianity
CBN NEWS: Massive Church Destruction in Egypt
What do Muslim Brotherhood members do when Egyptian Security Forces launch a forewarned operation to clear them from Cairo tent cities? Attack Christians. That's right.
Morsi supporters responded with a monumental attack--unprecedented in modern times--on churches throughout Egypt. The torching and destruction of churches occured within six hours of the start of the military crackdown.
Many Muslims opposed the violent response against Christians. Some Salafists urged the Brotherhood to halt the attacks, and even some Muslims in Upper Egypt reportedly helped Christians defend churches.
One destroyed church in Upper Egypt was built in the fourth century.
Here's the list of burned churches and buildings:
- Church of the Virgin Mary and Anba Abram of the Copts Orthodox. the village of Daljah, the district of Deir Mawas, Minya province. Burning and demolishing the church.
- The Church of St. Mina of the Coptic Orthodox. The neighborhood of Abu Hilal Kebly Minya province. Burning the church.
- St. George Church. Coptic Orthodox archbishopric land, Sohag province. Burning the church.
- Baptist Church. Status of Bani Mazar, Minya province. Burning the church
- Church of the Virgin Lady of the Copts Orthodox, Nazlah village, Yusuf the righteous district, Fayoum province. Burning the church…
- Monastery of the Sisters of the Good Shepherd School. Suez. Burning.
- Church of Franciscan fathers. Street 23. Suez. Burning.
- Bible society friends, fayoum. Burning.
- Church of Saint Maximus. 45th Street. Alexandria. Harassment.
- Church of Prince Taodharos Elchatbi. Fayoum. Burning.
- Church of the virgin Lady of the Coptic Orthodox. butchers street. Abu Hilal District. Minia province. Burning.
- Church of Saint Mark. Catholic Copts. Abu Hilal District, Minya province. Burning.
- Church of the Jesuit Fathers. Abu Hilal District, Minya province. Burning.
- Church of the Virgin and Anba Abram. Sohag. Burning.
- Church of Saint Mark, and the building of services. electricity Street. Sohag. Burning.
- The house of Father Onjelios king. Pastor of the Church of the Virgin and Anba Abram in Daljah. Deir Mawas district. Minya province. Burning the house completely.
- Burning the Greek Church in Suez.
MORE: ICEJ: Christians Attacked Across Egypt Amidst Turmoil
Despite the widespread violence, very few major media outlets or Christian human rights organizations have been reporting on the situation. “Progressive Christianity does not want to confront Islamic violence,” Dexter Van Zile of CAMERA told the Jerusalem Post.
Andrew C. McCarthy, a leading US expert on radical Islam, agreed in a blog post for National Review, saying Western media is ignoring and distorting the “Islamic supremacist aggression against Egypt’s Christians – which was a prominent feature of Muslim Brotherhood governance. The Brotherhood is not ‘retaliating’ against Christians. Islamic supremacists are persecuting Christians... which is what they do in Muslim-majority countries.”
Prayer request? Send an email to: PrayerRequest3@aol.com